Tuesday, November 3, 2009

S-Day

Around 4 this morning I drove Della to UPMC Presby for her surgery. From our entrance into the hospital to her being taken to the OR, everything was done with clinical precision and efficiency. The surgical center has planned for every contingency: from lockers for families to parking vouchers to directions to various shops and eating places in the hospital complex to the ritual which surrounds the patient from the time she enters the pre-op area until the completion of her time in the recovery area. We entered pre-op at around 5:45 - a nurse came to take Della's medical history and ask her questions about medications taken or not taken in the past week. (This routine with the same questions was repreated by the nurse anesthetist, the physician anesthetists, and the nurse who came in to prepare Della's IV.) After the initial interrogation, Della changed into her hospital garb, packed her belongings in the bag she brought with her (this was promptly whisked away and put in a locker to accompany her to the ICU after surgery), put on her hospital socks and hair net. We had some time for talking with one another. At 6:15, began a steady stream of medical personnel: nurses and anesthetists to install a catheter for a nerve block. They gave a long detailed explanation to Della of what they would be using to "put her under". and asked me to leave for a "few minutes". The young resident anesthetist assured me that I would be able to see her before they took her to the OR to "say your goodbyes" - about as unfelicitous a use of words Della and I could have heard given the circumstances. He's young - someday he'll learn. I should mention that the senior anesthetist actually came to me while I was waiting and asked me how I was doing. I told him I was ok - I wasn't so sure about Della. But when I finally did get to spend about five minutes with her, she said she was feeling "relaxed but a little anxious" too. When they first took her blood pressure, it was a bit high. By the time they took her to the OR it had dropped back to her usual healthy level.

So now I wait. It's 10:30 AM, and I am typing this at the Family Lounge computer. No word yet. On the big scoreboard next to her number are the words: Still In Surgery.

A word about breakfast at the UPMC cafeteria. There was a time 17 years ago during my CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) at Children's when eating at the Children's or Preby cafeterias was a treat. The quality has declined substantially. This morning I had the "special" - the eggs were fresh is about all I can say about it.

In the meantime, I have been reading a chapter in the book I use for my Sunday morning education class, and sitting at the computer.

Love you, honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment