Wednesday, November 4, 2009

S-Day 2

The surgery ended at approximately 2:30 PM. Della went to the recovery room for about an hour or so and at 3:25, I was informed that she had been moved to the Surgical ICU. Paul Sutcliffe, a priest and friend, had stopped by about an hour before, so he and I went to the ICU. Della was still floating in and out of consciousness, but she recognized Paul and said some words to him. After he left (around 4 PM), Della began to experience a great deal of discomfort, nausea, and pain in the area of her abdomen. The nausea was particularly distressing since there was nothing in her stomach. Several of the ICU nurses set her up with one of the pain medication pumps, gave her anti-nausea medication, and propped her back up with something which enabled her to lie slightly on her side. The discomfort eased, Della was able to relax a little. Around 5:20, she dozed off and slept. I left the hospital shortly after 6. I will be there this morning around 10.

At this point, neither Della nor I have any idea what was done during the surgery or what we should be planning for. Della may be in ICU for several days - after that, we don't know. Dr. Lee did not meet with me after the surgery, nor was I contacted by any of his team. I hope I can find out more. In the meantime, I hope Della got some rest last night. She cannot have have any nourishment, except that provided by the IV. Last night she pleaded for some moisture for her lips and tongue, and one nurse resisted while another immediately went for some cold water and a swab, which she used to daub Della's mouth.

Yesterday morning, I attended the Catholic Mass at the Montefiore Chapel. The Scripture readings were consoling, and it meant a great deal just to be able to pray for Della while she was undergoing the surgery. Lunch at the Presbyterian Cafeteria, a Tuscan salad, was adequate, but nothing worth blogging about. Bob Lytle, Sr., the deacon at my church, stopped by for several hours, but had to leave before the surgery was completed.

Yesterday, in the PreOp area, several Hasidic Jewish men, clothed in black hats, suits and overcoats, with heavy beards and the dreadlocks, were gathered around someone, praying. Later that morning, I saw them in the Montefiore lobby, seated at a table and saying their noonday prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment