Friday, November 6, 2009

S-4

I spent a good part of yesterday with Della, reading aloud to her from Reader's Digest bad jokes and several "unsolved mysteries" from a Life Magazine special issue. For the most part Della was still feeling very uncomfortable - her abdomen felt like stone, and she was very tired. Five doctors associated with Dr. Lee's team came to see her around 5 PM. They assured her that she would feel better "tomorrow" (Friday). She was able to sit up for a few minutes and was able with help to use the bathroom. And she was allowed to swallow 1 fluid ounce of water every hour until she was told by the doctors last night to stop. Apparently that is complicating the problem with the abdomen. She has a room with a lovely view - getting to Montefiore and parking there is considerably easier than going across the street to Presby. The gift shops and small cafeteria are more to my liking than the ones at Presby. All in all, a small bit of progress. She is very happy to be out of Trauma ICU. So am I. One of Della's close friends told me that if I keeping reading bad jokes I will drive her out of the hospital.

Today I may get to see her for only an hour or so. Diocesan Convention begins this evening, and I have to interview a possible replacement for our secretary this morning at 10. Back to the grind. I expect to get back home this evening around 11 - then up at 5:30 AM and off to Sewickley at 6:00 to register for Convention which begins at 8:00. It will continue until 3 or thereabouts, then to the church for the 5:30 Saturday Eucharist, and then home.  I'll see Della again after the 9:30 service on Sunday. She wants me to tell all of those who have kept her in their prayers and written notes that she loves you. You mean a great deal to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment